Home India News CM Pramod Sawant Launches AI-Powered Traffic Signal Pilot Project in Goa

CM Pramod Sawant Launches AI-Powered Traffic Signal Pilot Project in Goa


Goa has taken a major step towards a smart and connected future with the launch of an Artificial Intelligence-driven traffic signal and an e-challan system in partnership with Bengaluru-based Beltech AI on March 15 at the Merces Junction. The PWD has funded the Rs 40 lakh pilot project, which will have the vendor receive 70% of the fines obtained from violators through the e-challans, while the government will receive the remaining 30%. The e-challan issuance will begin on March 20.

Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant dedicated the system and mentioned its multiple benefits like monitoring the traffic in real-time, issuing e-challans, and providing assistance in security purposes. The Goa traffic department plans to replicate this project in 16 locations in the state, primarily for traffic control.

Beltech AI is a Bengaluru-based private venture that works with data, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to help optimise traffic flow and junction operations for cities across India. Some of the features of their Artificial Intelligence-driven systems are automated detection and notification of traffic violations, automatic greening for emergency and VIP vehicles, automated anomaly detection for traffic and parking, adaptive traffic control system, traffic turning control and much more.

CM Pramod Sawant showed his commitment to the cause and urged people to cooperate with the government in achieving its goal. He also mentioned that if the success of this project is replicated in other locations, then it will help the government in their mission to have all intersections in the state become AI-enabled.

The launch of this project indicates a promising future for Goa in terms of smart city development and shows the government’s commitment towards modernizing infrastructure. If this project is successfully implemented and expanded to other locations, it could be a great step forward in achieving a connected and smart city.